Private writing space available to lifetime members
NYLS offers a wide array of services to its members. From a quiet place to work on manuscripts to assistance with publishing contract negotiations, we have it all. If a community of like-minded authors whets your palate, contact us. We even offer coffee to boot (free of charge).
Strictly speaking, The New York Literary Society does not offer programs but, instead, concentrations. What's the difference?
Where programs are narrowly defined and specific endeavors, concentrations are more broadly constructed. For a snapshot of what we mean, consider our analogy of the house. In this analogy the house would be the organization, the garage would be the concentration, and the program would be the car. Using this paradigm of concentrations, NYLS is able to offer direct benefits to the public in furtherance of its mission while leaving open the "garage" door for cooperation with other organizations. See? It's simple.
Concentration areas include: NYLS Theater, NYLS Children's Theater, NYLS Library, and the Cogito literacy training module.
The New York Literary Society (NYLS) is a publicly funded charity restructured in the State of New York in May of 1995 for the purposes of enhancing literacy and promoting an appreciation for literature among adults and children. We are a nonprofit organization formed pursuant to Section 402 of the Not-For-Profit Corporation Law of the State of New York and organized exclusively for one or more of the purposes as specified in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954.
What We offer
- Author readings, book signings, and access to networking events.
- Assistance with contract negotiations by skilled attorneys in the field.
- Assistance with editing, cover design, book packaging, and marketing.
- Peer reviews and support.
- Meeting space and discounted room rentals rates.
- Book review services through NYLS Book Review.
- Recourse to NYLS Publishing for select writing projects of literary fiction.
- Introduction to accomplished literary agents for select writing projects.
- A community of like-minded literary artists as passionate about the craft as you are.